Monday, August 8, 2016

Little answers to prayers

Hello everyone!

Miracles are happening in Vegas! It's so cool to see how God answers prayers or every kind! Not much happened with many investigators. We started teaching this care giver for one of our members and she's from Ethiopia. She speaks good English, but she doesn't quite understand the concept of the priesthood. And did I tell you we're teaching an 8 year old? His name is Jesse.  It's hard to teach him sometimes because he has a short attention span, but we gave him a Book of Mormon stories book with pictures and easier words, so hopefully he'll read and enjoy that. But he's on track to be baptized with the rest of the 8 year olds in the stake in September, so we're really excited for that.

So one day we were tracting a really super long street because we had a bunch of time without appointments, including a dinner appointment. So we walked and walked and knocked and knocked, and we both got super thirsty to the point of kind of feeling sick. So we both said silent prayers individually. In my prayer, I thought not to ask if a door would open and they would give us water, but just that we would be able to get water soon by any means. So we kept walking and knocking and hoping a door would open. We finally decided to go back to the car and finish the street later, after we went and got some dinner and water. But in our way walking back, a man was out doing things in his driveway and about to get in his car. No one is ever outside! So we said hey, he said he wasn't interested, so we started walking away. But 2 seconds after we said goodbye, he asked us if we wanted some water! We gladly accepted as he handed us 2 ice cold water bottles from a cooler. Such an answer to our prayers!


I had the opportunity on Friday to go to the temple with Jay who was going through for the first time! He is the Dad of the boy I helped teach the tail end with and was here for his baptism. Because I even just played a small part in his deactivation, I was blessed to be able to go with him on Friday with Sister Southam. She was the one transferred out of the area when I got here, so she played a bigger part in reaching his kids and reactivating him. But it was so nice!

He is such and awesome dad, member, and just man in general. He is funny, great, and just has such a strong testimony because he's been through so much. It's amazing!

Another blessing with the temple, I ran into my Uncle Wayne! He lives in Henderson, so this is his temple he's assigned to. It was so awesome to be able to see him in the Celestial room and talk with him and even hug him :) That was such a blessing in my life and helped me get through the rest of the week.

I've been reading an studying the War chapters in Alma this week. I'm really trying to get everything I can from it, and I'm seriously learning so much! Like a lesson in humility, as the Nephites win their wars because they know it's God and not them. And a lesson in making sure you are driven with the right purpose, as I read about the Lamanites fighting hard for power and the Nephites winning because they are fighting for their families. And a lesson in Faith, as I read that none of the 2000 Stripling Warriors died in battle because they had faith in the Lord their God. I am loving reading and following the stories like never before! It seriously is such a good book. I found myself the other day reading so intently and then gasping subconsciously when a surprising event happened :) I then just laughed at myself because I was so surprised that I gasped out loud :) but I'm serious. The Book of Mormon is so amazing and I am learning so much from it by ACTUALLY reading it. I never realized that I have always read it, but never actually read it and payed attention to what I was reading. It's so good!

Well that's about all I have time for this week. I love you all and I hope you are doing well! I want to hear all about all of your adventures and happenings because I miss you all.

Hope you aren't as hot and sweaty as I am!
Sister Brown :)

p.s.
Look at this fantastic view I saw after the temple! Temple and strip. SO pretty : )


No comments:

Post a Comment