Monday, January 23, 2017

Elder Bednar!!!



So this week was fantastic! On Saturday we got to be so privileged as a mission to hear from Bishop Causse', the presiding bishop of the church, Elder Maynes of the Presidency of the 70, and Elder David A. Bednar, one of the 15 Prophets, Seers and revelators that are on the Earth today!!!!! We got to have 3 hours with them and it wasn't just sitting and listening to them, it was more of an interactive question and answer thing and I leaned so much!!! Elder Bednar talked a lot about being agents unto ourselves and not being an object. There are
two different types of people in this world. Agents who act, and people who are acted upon. So when you sit wait for an answer to your prayers so you can be told what to do, you are being an object, waiting to be acted upon. Of course Elder Bednar explained it way more fluently and spiritual than I could ever explain it. He also talked a lot about how the most important lesson we can learn on our mission is to trust God because when we trust God, we know that whatever happens in our life, any ups or downs, is because God is trying to teach us something, or he has something better planned for you. So yeah, stuff like that. It was really overall just an amazing experience and we got to shake his hand at the end and it was so wonderful! He bore his testimony at the end of how he knows that Christ lives and that he speaks and how he knows he is our Savior, and the spirit was so strong!! I was so privileged to sit in front of one of Christ's 12 apostles, a witness of Christ, and hear him bare his testimony of the truthfulness of this gospel and of the reality of his, and all of our, Savior and redeemer.

Sister Lemmon and I are still running around like chickens with our heads cut off, trying to visit people and get to know them in the Discovery Park Ward. I really love this ward though. They were formed about a year ago, so all of the leaders of auxiliaries and things are all fairly new and figuring out things together. they are all so
missionary minded and I feel so blessed to be able to work with them! We weren't able to meet with any of our investigators this week, but we've been able to meet a lot of less actives and get to know them.

Ok, story time. So we met an older couple this week who are both on the records of the Church and used to attend regularly. They were so nice! They let us in, they gave us chocolate milk and cookies, and we just talked and talked and they were wonderful people! We were in there for a lot longer than we anticipated, so I began to wrap things up a bit by sharing a little thought. I read Romans 8:38&39 which talks about how there is nothing that will ever, ever come between you and God's love. I think I shared my thoughts about it last week. Well we shared this scripture and then were going to leave soon after that. Well, the wife began to tell me how they used to be very strong members in the church, but now she belonged to the Presbyterian church
and how her husband was now atheist. She told us her story of why they left the church, and it mostly had to do with the people of the church judging her and her children. It just made my heart so sad. But what
made me cry, was when she told us that she used to believe that families were forever, but now she does not. She would love to be with her family in heaven forever, but that's not how it works. I left that house so sad. They said they would love to be friends with us, but they don't want us to get the wrong idea and try to bring them back to church. Again, so sad. After that experience, I thought hard about my testimony of eternal families. I am so glad that I know that God's purpose in this life is to help us receive joy in this life and
to be happy. And if you want to be with your family after this life, if that would make you happy, then why would he not want that for you! I know that because of Heavenly Father's wonderful plan, and the restored gospel that we have now, I am able to be sealed to my family for eternity and be with them forever. I am so glad that I am able to be here in Vegas at this time and declare that to everyone, because it's just so sad that people don't know! So that was really broken up because I'm in a hurry, but I hope you got the gist of what I felt :)

So, I love you all!! I'll leave you with a thought my Ward Mission Leader shared with us in gospel principles yesterday. He called it the "So That Principle" and it's about when you pray. When you ask for things, add "so that" to it. i.e. "Please bless the Atlanta falcons will win the super bowl so that..." if you can't finish the sentence,
you shouldn't be praying for it. Because you should pray for things that God wants for you and for others. He explained it much better, but I hope that makes sense :)

I love you all so much! Have a fantastic week :)

Sister Brown :)

No comments:

Post a Comment